2020/21 Top Picks!
These are our 2020/21 Top Picks that portray mental health issues with compassion and accuracy. The following are endorsed by Julie Ridge, LCSW-R, President and Founder. (last updated: January, 2020)
BEST MOVIES of 2020-21!
- The Father, starring Anthony Hopkins, a top contender for this year’s Academy Award for best actor. This picture shows dementia from the unusual perspective of the person with it.
- The Life Ahead, starring Sophia Loren, who came out of 10 year retirement for the role of a lifetime, in a film directed by her son. This stunning picture depicts the overlay of dementia and trauma.
- The Honey Boy is a daring feature, starring Lucas Hedges, Shia LaBeouf, and Noah Jupe, produced by Shia LaBeouf. Honey Boy is the autobiographical story about LaBeouf’s childhood and troubling yet loving relationship with his father. LaBeouf portrays his father. Finding accurate and responsible movies about addiction is difficult – this film explores heritability, addictions connection with childhood trauma, and the lifetime struggle involved in staying clean and sober.
- Hillbilly Elegy, starring Glenn Close, based on the autobiography of the same name by JD Vance. An honest, depiction of the underbelly of the opioid crisis.
- Time. The documentary about Sybil Fox Richardson’s 21 year journey to free her husband Rob from a 60 year sentence without parole. A scathing portrayal of all that’s broken in our injustice system.
Best Television in 2020-21:
- I know this Much is True. Mark Ruffalo plays twin brothers, one with chronic schizophrenia, the other trying to reclaim his life. Ruffalo won an Emmy for this remarkable and stirring performance.
- The Queen’s Gambit. You don’t have to play Chess to fall in love with this Netflix series, laden with addiction and trauma, and thirst to be the best in the world.
- Ethos. Set in Istanbul, a remarkable Netflix mini-series about culture, acceptance, and therapeutic alliances.
Ongoing best website:
www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org. The Treatment Advocacy Center, founded by Dr. E. Fuller Torrey, one of the world’s foremost research psychiatrists, specializing in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. His web site provides a plethora of global information and resources on all mental health conditions.