(last updated July 1, 2014)
- 311 for referrals and help when 911 is not appropriate.
- 1 800 LIFENET is an excellent national referral line. They are not a hotline or suicide crisis line.
- Poison Control: in New York 212 POISONS or 800 222-1222. When you cannot reach your doctor or pharmacist, this is an excellent 24 hour referral source, manned by nurses and pharmacists, to help with information regarding poison, as well as any questions you may have about drug interactions.
Other mental health helpline numbers and referral sources:
- CHADD (Children & Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder) 800-233-4050. In New York City (212) 721-0007.
- Ecstasy and other drug Addictions 1-800-468-6933.
- Family Violence Prevention Center 1-800-313-1310.
- Incest Awareness Foundation 1-888 -547-3222. Additional assistance in New York City the NYC Alliance against sexual assault
- National Center for Learning Disabilities (212) 545- 7510. www.ncid.org/disability-advocacy/learn-id-laws/idea/what-is-idea.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) 1-800-950-NAMI (6264).
- Post Abortion Trauma 1-800-593-2273.
- Rape (People Against Rape) 1-800-877-7252.
- Rape, Abuse, Incest, National Network (RAINN) 1-800-656-HOPE
- Self-Injury (Information and referrals) 1-800-DONT CUT
- Teen Helpline 1-800-400-0900.
- Victim Center 1-800-FYI-CALL (1-800-394-2255).